My friend over at Ellemental has resumed blogging after quite a hiatus. I think she is inspiring me to get back to it as well. Taking the Christmas Meme from her.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Mostly paper. I just like people to have things to unwrap … not just take out of a bag.
2. Real tree or Artificial? I much prefer real, but have had artificial many a year. Always had artificial growing up – we got a real tree ONCE. We planted it in the yard after Christmas and it grew into a really nice, big tree! Owners after us cut it down. 😦 Anyway, this year – real!
3. When do you put up the tree? Soon after Thanksgiving … This year we didn’t get the tree until December 9th, though.
4. When do you take the tree down? Around the 2nd week of January.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes but I do half eggnog and half milk – it’s too thick and sweet for me.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Hm. I guess my “baby” doll … the Madame Alexander Victoria doll. I still have her.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My Dad. What does an 88-year-old man need or want?
8. Easiest person to buy for? My daughter. I could have bought her 3 times more stuff than I actually did!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes – a very small one that sits on a shelf. It’s kind of a big shelf – thick and long – and the nativity scene definitely looks too small on it. But I don’t really have anywhere else to put it.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Oh definitely mail. I wish more people still did. I sent out almost 80 cards this year. We’ve received 10.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? LOL. Not so bad, just funny. My godmother gave me this odd little tote bag one year that was the very preppy pink and bright green colors. Another year I wanted a Yale sweatshirt. My mom misunderstood and got me a (bright) yellow sweatshirt. The same year I think, I had mentioned that someone I knew liked / collected penguins. Again misunderstanding, my mom got me a bunch of penguin stuff. She must have been distracted! LOL.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The more of this meme I answer, the more sure I am that I’ve done it before. Anywho … I really do like “It’s a Wonderful Life,” I’ve just never really understood why it’s a Christmas movie. I realize it takes place at Christmas time … and has an angel. Other than that, I really wouldn’t classify it as a Christmas movie! I like “A Christmas Story” a lot. My favorite kid Christmas special is “The Year Without a Santa Claus.” Love me some Heat Miser and Snow Miser!!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? If I see something perfect in September or October I’ll pick it up. I pick up a few more things in November and start shopping in earnest on Black Friday. Yes, I “do” Black Friday. I must say it was mostly unsuccessful this year, though — WAY more crazy than I have EVER seen it, and I do it every year. I may be moving more and more to online shopping!!
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Not that I recall.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cookies, of course!
16. Lights on the tree? I can’t stand multi-colored lights. I like white; or red; or red and white. This year I did red, white and green and I like it a lot. But I really don’t need orange, pink, blue and yellow. And never blinking!
17. Favorite Christmas song? I love most of them … favorite hymn / carol is probably “Away in a Manger.” Favorite secular is probably “Silver Bells.” Josh Groban singing any Christmas song is my favorite at that moment!
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Now that we have a child, we definitely stay home for Christmas morning. This year we’ll go to my sister’s for dinner, which is a little over an hour away. Sometimes they come here. So far we have not traveled to the in-laws’ for Christmas. I wouldn’t want to leave my mom for Christmas.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Of course. 🙂
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel. Although I used to do themes (see #23) … and I do have a star for the Southwest theme.
21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Traffic, crowds.
23. Favorite Ornament theme or color? I have enough ornaments to do 3 or 4 trees. I hope someday to be able to put up several each year. Since we’ve had Hope, I just do the traditional stuff because it seems more fitting. I also have all Southwestern; all blue and white / silver / snow theme; all angels; and all musical stuff.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? I don’t really have a favorite. We do turkey for Thanksgiving, so I like something different for Christmas, although turkey again would be ok too! I’m not a huge fan of ham, but I did one last year with lots and lots of brown sugar and honey and it came out really good. My sister sometimes does London Broil … honestly not a huge fan of that either! (Sorry if you’re reading this! LOL!) She is doing ham this year and what I really like are the sides – that pineapple stuffing stuff, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, baked mac & cheese. Mmmmm.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I would really really love a Kindle Fire but I know we can’t afford one. 😦 (I mean, I would REALLY REALLY love an iPad, but we REALLY can’t afford that, and a Kindle Fire would be just fine for me!) Maybe the price will go down after Christmas and I can get one for my birthday!!!